Sunday, September 27, 2015

Behind the Scenes

My clothing tags
How I love the fall - the cool weather - sleeping without needing AC or fans. I'm a cool weather person anyway.  I find the summer heat exhausting. And I feel my creativity wane.  But with this change in season, I feel invigorated!  And I feel my creative juices flowing again.

I've got so many ideas for doll outfits for 18" dolls like American Girl and Our Generation, 15" dolls like Bitty Baby and Bitty Twin and I'm working on something for 23" dolls like My Twinn.  In fact, I've been re-working some patterns and trying out new purchased patterns.

But first, I thought I'd give you a quick behind the scenes look at the process.  Last year, someone asked me why I make doll clothes to which I explained that it's fun to make doll clothes.  I have a creative outlet and I'm able to have my own business.  She commented that it's probably alot easier, too.  I felt insulted.  Maybe I was being overly sensitive but to be quite honest, it's not easier.  Sewing is sewing and a well made article of clothing takes skill, time and patience.  When making doll clothing, seams are reduced.  So instead of 5/8" seams, I'm sewing with 1/4" and 1/8" seams.  And believe me, sometimes it can be tricky!

I had some really pretty flowered streth fabric along with an extra large woman's size tee shirt that I decided to turn into a cute shorts and tee shirt set.

Cutting out the pieces for these small outfits goes by quickly when I use rotary cutters.  I used to pin everything and handcut with my fabric scissors.

I've assemble all my cut pieces and selected my thread to begin sewing. 
Most seams, as I've said are 1/4" seams.  To give the clothing a nice finished look, I over hand stitch all the edges.  If I had a serger, seaming and finishing would be much easier.  But, alas, I've got a regular sewing machine which works just fine even though it takes a little longer.


I spend a lot of time switching presser feet and changing stitches.  Hey!  Maybe Santa will bring me a serger for Christmas. 



Progress so far..... shorts working pockets are complete.  Front sides attached and tee shirt shoulders are complete as well as the collar along with a last minute decision to attach lace. I think I really like the lacy touch.  What's left, you ask?  Attaching the collar and sleeves, attaching the back of the shorts, the waistband, and oh!  elastic..... wait! can't forget velcro closures!  Way, too much left to do.



And lastly...... adding my tags. Locally (and I mean very locally - like just down the street from me), there is another sewist who makes and sells doll clothes. She sells her doll clothes through her online store as well as in a local consignment crafters shop.  I happened across her items while browsing through the shop and considering if I wanted to put some of my items in the shop.  Her clothes are very nice and well made there were no labels in any of the clothes.  I firmly believe that all handmade items should have the crafters name and, if possible, how to locate the shop/crafter, etc.

Anyway, the outfit is done! and here it is.  Check it out at my MadeMagical shop to see this outfit along with other outfits in my shop!  Hope the rest of your September is awesome!  Peace :D






No comments:

Post a Comment