Sunday, January 3, 2016

DIY Doll Clothes Hangers

Early in December, I sold doll clothes at my first really large craft fair.  It was fun and exciting.  I sewed everyday for a month prior to the fair just to make sure that I had enough doll clothes for people to choose from. But how should I display all my creations?

My husband made me awesome tabletop clothes racks but now I needed doll clothes hangers.  I checked eBay, Amazon, Walmart,Target, etc, trying to find reasonably priced hangers.  What I discovered is that they are expensive plus you don't get free shipping at most sites without a minimum dollar sale.  Next, I hit local store where I found that I could buy a small quantity, have it now but it really wasn't worth the cost.

My husband and I brainstormed and voila! a reasonable, easy DIY alternative.


 
I went to my local Dollar store and found children's plastic hangers.  They were 6 for $1 and came in white, pink and blue.  My husband used a pair of clippers - the kind used for cutting or pruning small branches - and clipped them just after they little indentation used to hold clothes on the hanger.  If you're concerned about whether the edges might be too sharp or might catch on fabric, you can file them.  However, I use them as is and haven't had a problem.



We discarded the bottom portion in the recycling bin.  The best thing is that these hangers are meant to fit on a regular sized closet rod so you don't have to worry about whether the hanger will fit on a rod.  The doll clothes fit perfectly on the hanger and the indentation is in just the right spot for skinny shouldered clothes, spaghetti straps, etc.

This was such a cool project - easy, colorful, functional, fast and inexpensive. If I had bought 30 doll clothes hangers, I would have spent $24.00 plus shipping!  So to recap:
  • 30 toddler hangers = $5.00
  • Cutting time = 15 minutes
  • 30 doll clothes hangers = priceless
ENJOY and SHARE!



No comments:

Post a Comment